Thursday, July 24, 2008

these are some of the answers people gave to the question: What is your biggest ALS fear?

I'M SHARING SOME OF THE MIND SETS OF PEOPLE WHO ARE FACING THE FUTURE W/ THIS DISEASE. THIS DISEASE HAS DEPLETED OUR PHYSICAL ABILITIES. AND IT DOES NOT STOP.

  1. Total paralysis, I'm scared of it
  2. losing the ability to walk.
  3. I'm with Sheila on this one. Total paralysis. I nearly drowned when I was a kid, and I've had a fear of being helpless ever since. I've become claustrophobic because of this. The idea of being trapped in my body, not even able to move my head, scares the crap out of me. I believe this will drive me insane.
  4. my mother having to watch me die.
  5. No cure.
  6. I can't spend time fearing what is ahead for me...I'll go nuts. I only focus on today and what I can still do. Everyday I pray for 3 things...strength, courage, and inner peace.
  7. I fear being alive when the body bag is zipped!
  8. A long drawn-out diminishing until I actually die. I have a slow form of MND - that is great in the earlier stages as I have longer to enjoy doing the things I can still do but that benefit is amply balanced by the fact that the later stages when total paralysis kicks in will last much longer too. I have no fear of death itself but I certainly fear the stage before when I am unable to do anything except just be there.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Drew,I like your blog. I was going through ALS blogs and saw the hockey picture ( I love hockey!). Thanks for all the information. Life happens one day at a time, you have today.
Peace.

Anonymous said...

Drew,
What you said in this list brought tears to my eyes. Stay strong and never give up hope.
Gina